As part of the continuing Emergency Preparedness Program, there are classroom kits containing emergency supplies for each child. Every child in the school is required to have a personal comfort kit. A list of contents is provided in September. These kits are stored by grade in the earthquake storage room located outside near the Kindergarten classroom. Please ensure that all information on your child with regards to emergency preparedness is current. This is particularly important regarding special medical needs.
We conduct regular Fire Drills to practice emergency procedures. If there is a fire, students will be evacuated from the school to a specified area on the playground. In the event of a civil or natural emergency no student will be released from school into the care of anyone other than a parent, guardian or other person indicated by the parent on the registration form Emergency Release.
In the event of a major earthquake or disaster, the following rules apply:
- DO NOT call the school. The phone line must remain open for outgoing emergency calls.
- Radio station CKNW – 980AM will provide information and directions.
- DO come to the school if you are able to offer assistance.
- Refrain from driving to the school, as the school’s access routes and street entrances MUST remain clear for emergency vehicles. Either walk or park away from the school.
- Once it is safe to travel, go to the Student Release Station to pick up your child and any other child for whom you are assuming responsibility. Adults taking a child from the school grounds under these circumstances must sign a release form.
- Please note that if evacuation is not possible from the school, the students will proceed to Cedardale Elementary and will be located in the gymnasium.